OFB
10-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Got a call from a friend who just stuck a spike buck.I took a ride to see if
I could give him a hand.I was amazed to see the shot he made.Over the phone
I thought he only hit one lung.The buck that was at least two years old had
run over 250 yards and was still standing after 45 min.He put anouther arrow
through its neck and it ran off again then droped.I looked and it had a nice
hole in the center just behind the left sholder.I had thought his shot only hit
one lung but when I turned it over it was a straight through dobb.lung shot.
The arrow almost looked clean and you could hardly see any blood.He had
very heavy thick spike antlers.Some deer can be very tough!!!!!!!!

bobbythehunter
10-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Wow Pete sounds like a tough deer. Did you actually get a look at the lungs or are you basing your assessment strictly on shot placement? I wonder if one can make a double lung hit and still not have both lungs collapse?

StoneCrusher
10-15-2011, 11:41 AM
:icon_e_smile:thats the problem when you are shooting tooth picks.

Andy
10-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Deer have a strong will to live ,one lung they will go all day and still be alive the next day i have seen this happen and not shooting tooth picks :cheesy:

Pete what was he shooting for broadheads?

OFB
10-15-2011, 04:54 PM
100 gr Muzzy 3 blade and I only saw the two holes both in the center
of the chest the shot I would give a 10 but not a 12!!!

Horizontal Hunter
10-15-2011, 04:58 PM
Their will to live is amazing sometimes.

Bob

OFB
10-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Not all broadheads are great killers!!! The manufactures want you to think
they are but they are not !!!!!!!!!!JMO

flatlander
10-15-2011, 05:59 PM
I've used Muzzy's and have no complaints. Was it a new head with sharp blades?

OFB
10-15-2011, 07:14 PM
I'll check but I know he picked up replacement blades at Cabela's and had installed
them on the arrows.I shot a 1 1/2 year old buck a few years ago and Andy helped
me track it.I watched it run 175 yards and saw the tail flutter so was sure it was
down.Very little blood and a hole in both lungs.It was where I had seen the tail
flutter but wanted to track it just incase it didn't go down.It's always best to give
it time.This deer was much bigger than that small buck I hit.There was a good blood
trail with lots of bubbles in the blood that was on the leaves!!!!

Andy
10-15-2011, 07:18 PM
Andy helped
me track it.I watched it run 175 yards and saw the tail flutter so was sure it was
down.Very little blood and a hole in both lungs.

I remember that buck i thought it would never die the blood trail a blind man could follow it kept going until it ran out of blood what a tough deer.

Horizontal Hunter
10-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Not all broadheads are great killers!!! The manufactures want you to think
they are but they are not !!!!!!!!!!JMO

So true. I am a firm believer in making two holes as big as you can. IMO the perfect arrow and broadhead combination will pass completely through the animal and fall to the ground on the far side of the deer.

In other words If you are consistently finding your arrow 6" or 8" in the ground on the other side of the deer that is wasted energy that could be used to make a bigger hole in the deer. IMO you should be considering a larger cut broadhead.

I use the NAP Spitfire and it does a great job for me in my set up. It makes a serious hole but I am just short of 100lbs of Ke.

Broadhead manufactures are in the business of selling broadheads not killing deer just like lure manufacturers make lures that are designed to catch fishermen.

Bob

spike_horn
10-16-2011, 06:41 AM
The major veins / arteries of a lung are in the center just above the heart, about the size of a grapefruit on an adult deer. An arrow hitting the outer portions of the lung do very little damage. The deer might eventually die but have read / heard of them living a normal life on one lung.

I don't use mechanical broadheads but know they've improved the last few years. The larger cutting diameter can increase the margin of error.

I have a picture showing the anatomy of a lung, I'll try and find it.

All deer are 'tough' if not hit in a lethal location ...

KJB
10-17-2011, 03:48 PM
Quote " Deer have a strong will to live ,one lung they will go all day and still be alive the next day I have seen this happen and not shooting tooth picks"

I agree,
I shot a nice big buck ( bow and arrow ) Hit one lung and part of the heart this was 3 years ago. The Deer went over a 1/2 mile.
waited 1 hour after the shot, went in tracked for 2 hours with help from friends . the blood never stoped, we jumped the deer & backed out ,went in 4 hrs later & found him , tough animals