PDA

View Full Version : talk to your landowners

btr22man
10-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Hey everyone, just a reminder to all the other private land hunters about how beneficial it can be to talk with your landowners on a regular basis.

I had a nice conversation with one of my land owners this morning and she was more than happy to share with me some info about the deer activity that I likely would not have gotten from a trail cam or a few hours a week on stand. Lets face it.. its pretty likely that they spend more time on thier land then we do. Although i'm not so sure lately... i've been there ALOT :icon_cool:

StoneCrusher
10-11-2011, 01:32 PM
thats a very good point and glad you brought it up. If you have private land and wish to keep it, you need to build a relationship with the owner and continue to show your appreciation.

I have 5 pieces of private land in Lebanon, Colchester, and millington.
1) my favorite is a 12 acre piece (I am the only hunter) and this guy does not work, does not have aq drivers license, has no electricity or water. I make a point to stop by often and not just during the hunting seasons. I bring him meat in the winter and some non-perishables in the summer months. I help him with his chickens and have given him a few to add to his flock (I have chickens too).
2) my next favorite is 1000 acres and there are several other hunters, but most do not bow hunt or black-powder hunt. I specifically have a 350 acre section within the 1000 that is not offered to the other hunters. I spend a lot of time with this family. We go out to dinners and even spent a weekend vacation with them this summer. We take their Daughter camping with us and I do odd jobs around the farm like welding cattle head-locks, moving cows, feeding, etc....
3) 360 acres. I have worked on this farm cropping the fields, bush wacking the field edges, and doing odd jobs. i stop by to say hi every 3-4 weeks throughout the year. I have given him meat and will start sharing some eggs with him.
This used to be my favorite becuase I was the only real hunter for a good number of years. lately he has been selling hunting rights (legal?) for $200. now he has 10 people hunting on it and several of them are fairly good dedicated hunters. last year they took 17 deer off of it. and this year they have taken 7 does and 1 200lb 10 pointer.
4) 350 acres. This is a new piece of land that was offered to me out of the blue. I had no interest in it, but I gave the property manager a job to build an addition on a friends house. it was a $70,000 addition and he felt like paying me back with exclusive rights to the land. it has been un-hunted legally (possible poachers) for ~50 years. I am suppsoed to meet with him today and get the lay-of-the-land.
5) 12 acres in Millington was a great early season spot. have not hunted it in a couple years (I was able to get Moodus permission there). this is where he had the pic of that massive deer that was taken this year and posted on our forums. This is also the land where I was able to rattle a deer in using real deer antler sheds. This deer heard me rattle and came running straigght in. It was neat to see that it does work on occasion.

btr22man
10-11-2011, 01:51 PM
you need to build a relationship with the owner and continue to show your appreciation.

Exactly, being polite and social really goes a long way and it makes the experience alot more enjoyable. I hunt mosly suburban properties in fairfield county so it is very common for me to run into the landowner while I am there hunting. Its a nice feeling when the landowner greets you as a friend instead of just someone using thier land. I have a gentleman that makes it a point to come out and say hello when he sees me getting geared up at my car for an afternoon hunt. Thats what its all about...

flatlander
10-11-2011, 08:04 PM
I visit with the farmer every time I hunt the land. Usually before and after I hunt.

*HuntЯ*
10-11-2011, 08:59 PM
No worries here, i dont have any............:icon_cry:

btr22man
10-11-2011, 09:30 PM
keep on looking huntr.... your landowner is out there somewhere lol :icon_winkle: