PDA

View Full Version : Finally!

buckwild
10-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Well yesterday was the first day that I got out for the 2011 season. Thanks to the generosity of Andy, Spider lake and Van I have been able to hunting CT this year with confidence. Van took me under his wing and showed me a few spots that are awesome. I went down to this spot on Sunday and scouted it out. Van met me and showed me a wicked spot. He was generous enough to let me hunt this location.

I got there a little bit late due to travel time in the poor rain I hit on way down. But was able to slip in and get set up. (first time using my climber! OMG that's gunna take some getting used to!) At about 8:50 AM I spotted a LARGE bodied deer about 60+ yards off to my right. At first I thought it was a doe cause its head was down. But when it picked its head up it had at least 9 inch spikes that curled in. Never came towards me and fed up the hill into the corn. Sat till 11:15 and no more activity.

After lunch I headed in around 2:15. Got back in the same tree and everything felt perfect. At around 5:50 I look over left shoulder and saw a deer going thru a opening in the stone wall about 70 yards away. Then I noticed at least two more were already in the bushed on opposite side of stone wall that was 30 yards behind me. Being where the crossed the would have to work their way down wall past me to get to the field. As luck would have it they did. It took some time for them to get to me. The first was a small doe and I let her pass. The second looked like a good one. Just before stepping into opening I drew and she caught me. She was partially block by a small shrub tree with branches. We played the starring game for about 30 seconds. I knew she was getting ready to bolt so I picked a small opening and let it fly. The arrow hit a small branch and hit her high sticking her in the spine and dropped her in her tracks. I had to get down and finish her off. But she's a fine doe!! Van was hunting across from me and cut his hunt short and met me with a deer cart to get her out. I'm getting one of them! They are the bomb!!!

A big THANKS to VAN!! I had a awesome first hunt! Saw 4 deer total, had a relaxing but exciting day and meat in the freezer!!! I owe ya VAN!

Horizontal Hunter
10-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Congratulations Steve. The game cart is the only way to go. I built one years ago using EMT and mountain bike tires. My cart doubles as a ramp which allows me to easily get my deer into the bed of the truck. Once you have used one it is hard to go back to dragging.

Bob

vanbowhunts
10-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Congrats on a nice doe Steve!! Now since all I have are doe tags, the next doe is mine! lol.

Looking forward to the next hunt!

~ Van

gunslingr
10-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Congrats on the Doe!

TooManyHobbies
10-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Good job Steve. Van will definitely put you on deer.

DeerSniper
10-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Congrats! I need someone to show me the ropes like that!

alukban
10-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Nice!! Congrats!!

gunslingr
10-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Congrats! I need someone to show me the ropes like that!

Same lol, sounds like an opportunity for Van to start a guide business :icon_super:

RIDGE RUNNER
10-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Congratulations on your successful hunt. It's great Van was there to share the moment with you. Great job Van you should feel pretty darn good yourself.

Broadhead Joe
10-04-2011, 02:52 PM
Nice job-congrats

vanbowhunts
10-04-2011, 03:01 PM
There is more to this story than what Steve is saying....at the end of last year, he made the trek down here to go out with me to do some shed hunting..he also brought along a couple of trail camera's that we placed out, that I would check over the course of the off season to assist in scouting.....Steve played an important role in all of this, I look at this as a team effort, not just the work of me...without him trudging out there with me looking for some sheds, and supplying me with some camera's to move around and check we may of never found these deer, or had the opportunities that we've had.

He is giving me the credit that he had just as much involvement with.

He earned this deer, he made the shot, it was on public land, it's his deer, and he deserved it! I'm glad I could help, but he get's most of the credit...as well as some of the credit for the 2 great deer that I was able to harvest. So, let me tip my hat to you Steve, Thanks for all you did to help me as well! That's what it's supposed to be about right...helping each other out!

~ Van

RIDGE RUNNER
10-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Well said, and congrats again to both of you a fine example you set.

bloodtrail
10-04-2011, 03:54 PM
good job!! wish they all worked out like that!!

Andy
10-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Great job Steve and Van team work is what its all about great to see Steve getting out in the woods ,i would have love to be there to see the smile on your faces...:icon_pidu::icon_pidu:

farmerjim
10-04-2011, 05:44 PM
nice work guys, way to go steve congrats on a ct doe. now you need a ct buck to go along w/ the doe.

recurvehunter79
10-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Congards, way to support the brotherhood van!

Big Country
10-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Great Job on getting the deer down. Awesome! Also a Great job to Van. He's one of a kind.

joemichael
10-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Good going Steve! Congrats!

MoodusHunter
10-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Way to go! Van has some good karma going on!

captmike69
10-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Good job Steve. Van will definitely put you on deer.

if thats the case, wheres urs!!!! hahaha

buckwild
10-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Van.. thanks for the background on the hunts. But your skills and guidance had alot to do with it!!!

*HuntЯ*
10-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Congrats! ...............

TooManyHobbies
10-04-2011, 10:03 PM
if thats the case, wheres urs!!!! hahaha

Ouch, that hurts. Actually, when Van and I hunted together, we both saw one. Mine was too far and he missed his. We are both positively charged, so our karma interferes with each other.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :icon_e_smile:

shadow
10-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Congratulations on the doe and for both of you coming together and getting it done!

StoneCrusher
10-05-2011, 06:42 AM
Nice job. glad for you that the arrow deflected to a spine shot and not a gut shot. sure makes it easy to locate when you hit the spine.

OFB
10-05-2011, 06:51 AM
Congratulations on a great hunt!!!

KJB
10-05-2011, 07:14 AM
great Job and congrats
the generosity on this site is great

passinthru63
10-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Great jobs guys and congrats on the deer. Nice to see people can still play nice together. I'm sure this won't be the last we hear from this team. :icon_super: