PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Vs. Browning

Cislak31
09-28-2011, 06:38 PM
So I am in the neighborhood to buy a new rifle. I'm set on getting a .270 and if thats not available, a .308. I am however looking for a good brand right around 500-600 bucks. Cabelas is having a pretty good sale this week and they have a Browning A-Bolt for $550 and a Ruger Hawkeye for around 600. I want to hear what people think about the two brands. I know their both reliable but don't want to save $50 and end up regretting it.

flatlander
09-28-2011, 06:40 PM
Buy the A-bolt, you won't be sorry.

StoneCrusher
09-28-2011, 06:55 PM
I like Ruger and it shouldn't let you down; But I have a .270 that may be up for sale (need to think about it).

It was manufactured sometime between 1968 and 1972 (Would need to check to be sure) It is the Browning .270 BAR, making this a 100% Beligium made gun. It has glass on it and it is a Grade II.
Just so you know, The .270BAR is a heavy gun. you probably don't want to carry it by your side all day long.

Here is a Grade III so you get the gist: (This one is priced higher than mine because of the extra engravings)
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Belgium-Browning-BAR-Grade-III-270-Win-Cal-.cfm?gun_id=100173650

The one I have has not been used for hunting in years. It is properly stored and cleaned once a year. It is in very nice condition. (better than 90%)
Let me think about selling it or not and what I need to get for it, but I am thinking we might be close to the $$$ you posted in the thread.

CT-Hunter
09-28-2011, 07:03 PM
So I am in the neighborhood to buy a new rifle. I'm set on getting a .270 and if thats not available, a .308. I am however looking for a good brand right around 500-600 bucks. Cabelas is having a pretty good sale this week and they have a Browning A-Bolt for $550 and a Ruger Hawkeye for around 600. I want to hear what people think about the two brands. I know their both reliable but don't want to save $50 and end up regretting it.

Try to buy Stonecrushers BAR, you will not be sorry. The BAR is a great rifle.

bobbythehunter
09-28-2011, 09:17 PM
i really really like ruger rifles but i've never owned a browning. something tells me you'll be happy with either gun. as i said in a previous post my latest rifle is a left handed savage weather warrior in 7mm08 with an acutrigger and i love that as well. go and handle them both and pick the one which feels best. stonecrushers sounds like a beauty too.

youngbuck
09-28-2011, 11:47 PM
i have owned both and i currently own a ruger m77hawkeye and love it for an out of the box gun it shoots incredible trigger is like butter and the action as far as im concerned is flawless,however a bolts are good guns,i would honestly would have to say it kinda comes down to persoal opinion thay are both great guns but tell you what my hawkeye in the stainless/synthetic with a stainless leupold vx3 sure is pretty lol either way youll be happy man just get the one that fits you better really spend some time at the counter and see which stock fits you better and feels more natural

220combat
09-29-2011, 05:33 AM
They are both great guns. I think the action is tighter and smoother on the Browning, and the trigger is crisper, will less creep and overtravel, so my vote would go to the Browning.

Feedemsteel1983
09-29-2011, 02:21 PM
I also have had both guns and loved both of them ! The A-Bolts action was smoother and I loved the way it looked and felt a little more than the Ruger. With that said I agree with the others as it comes down to witch one you like the most. I would love to have either one of them. Let us know wich one you picked and why? Good luck you have a tough decision to make as they are both great rifles, wich everone you pick from the two you wont be sorry one bit on your choice!