PDA

View Full Version : My little honey hole is up for grabs!

Jeremy.backpack
09-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Went out this morning in North Stonington (Pachaug SF). An ATV drove past the area and spooked a deer that was bedded down on the edge of the small grassy area on the trail. All I saw was it get up and take off, don't know if it was a doe or a buck.

Anyways- there's a nice 9pt, a decent looking 5-6 pt, couple of spikes, and some does right around the cutover area of Chapman hill. There's also more deer down in Hetchel Swamp. I'm leaving for Iraq so I won't be hunting there for the next two years.
See you in two hunting seasons!

Jeremy.backpack
09-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Some of what to expect out there.

captmike69
09-24-2011, 01:33 PM
that was mighty nice of u to give up ur spot. wish u luck over there

cthonkerheaven
09-24-2011, 01:38 PM
Very nice of u!! Maybe capt. Mike and I will have to go light it up over there

Spotted Crow
09-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Nice of you to let us in on the location. Sounds like your hunting buddy is interesting! Sure seems like I have seen that buck before lol! Good luck in Irac and be safe! Look forward to reading your posts upon your return!

flatlander
09-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Get a new hunting buddy. That Hetchel swamp area gets a lot of pressure during the firearms seasons. I shot my first muzzle loader deer off the trail that's a little bit east of the cemetery. It was on the south facing hill side of the little valley past the cuttings.

hornhunter1
09-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Went out this morning by Hetchel Swamp in North Stonington (Pachaug SF). Took the trail North of Wyassup Rd just East of Wyassup Lake. An ATV drove past the area and spooked a deer that was bedded down on the edge of the small grassy area on the trail. All I saw was it get up and take off, don't know if it was a doe or a buck.

I texted a guy that I scout with from work. He was hunting the pine grove just West of the cemetery on the same hill. Then while texting him a doe came down the hill and started blowing. It was too thick to get a shot and she was probably 70-80yds up the hill to the West. She finally went back up the hill the way she came!

Again I texted my "buddy" that he had a doe headed his way. His response was to chase it, but I don't chase deer with a bow through a swamp! For some reason, I just believe that the deer has an advantage in that scenario.

Soo I sat down to let things cool off and figure out which way the wind was going to blow (it just kept circling). Then finally the urge to watch college football and eat a BLT got to me so around 10:15 I started slipping back up the trail. I heard a deer blowing as I came out (yea probably my fault but it was just too thick to see).

When I got to my truck I noticed that my "buddy" was now parked about 50yds up the road from me, but I wasn't sure that it was his truck, so I texted and asked. Sure enough he said that he was going after that doe that I passed up. Now I wonder how long he's been following me in the woods and messing me up.

This is also the same guy that when squirrel hunting I would call out the squirrel and he would immediately begin shooting at it. The first time I thought it was just excitement, but then I noticed that you had just better be quicker at the pull if you were gonna hunt with him.

I was saving Chapman Hill for later in the season, but he wanted to go check it out. He also said that he's been hunting the Cemetery there which I told him that I was going to put a stand at. I guess thats what I get for trying to help a guy out. I scouted those areas since February and pretty much told him everything that I found since his wife wouldn't let him scout.

Anyways- there's a nice 9pt, a decent looking 5-6 pt, couple of spikes, and some does right around the cutover area of Chapman hill. There's also more deer down in Hetchel Swamp. I'm leaving for Iraq so I won't be hunting there for the next two years. I didn't think he was that kind of hunter, but I guess I found out the hard way!

My lil honey hole is up for grabs! See you in two hunting seasons!

Jeremy, you are a very generous guy for sharing your honey hole. Hopefully you'll be rewarded for your generocity.
I got an exfriend a permit to hunt my hotspot on a 215 ac Woodstock farm once and he ended up taking advantage of the landowner, getting his brother a permit and then getting into an argument with the landowner over a parapalegic hunting there.
The next year the farmer did'nt let anyone else hunt there.In the end I ended up with a better honeyhole closer to home.

Thankyou for serving our country, be safe and God Bless

RIDGE RUNNER
09-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Some great friendships have been lost over deer, pretty sad. Best of Luck overseas and wishing you a safe return. Thanks for all you do.
Regards
Mike

CTstLandOnly
09-30-2011, 01:04 PM
Best wishes Jeremy. Hopefully you can check in on us once in a blue moon. We'll miss you.

Big Country
09-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Again Jeremy, Thanks for what you are doing and very nice of you to "give up" your spot, but can't do. So when you get back, you should have some corker bucks there. Good luck and stay in touch with us here on the site if you can.